Thursday, November 29, 2007

New Gadget

After having the same phone for about 4 years, I finally made the mistake of drowning it in the laundry machine. The new pocket toy is a Sony Ericsson w580i. A nifty little phone with a lot of cool features.
First and foremost, its a phone. Well of course it is.

Secondly, its a mp3 player with an expansion port for Memory Stick Micro.
Although the phone comes with internal memory, it isn't exactly much. After only one song about 6 mb in size, the phone gave me the 'memory full' warning. So I am spending another $18 for a 1gb stick. Another neat feature is the fitness application. The phone can record statistics while your working out. Its main feature is a running and walking counter. It will record your lap time, distance, and average speed. I haven't tested out this feature yet since I've been a lazy bum, but we'll find out if it actually works. A neat feature nonetheless.
The package came with really
nice headphones, and even a wired controller so you can stop and play music without having to reach into your pocket.
There is also a neat light that you can change into different colors.

Overall I am pleased with this new phone. One gripe however is the fact that you can set the mp3 file it came with as a ringtone, but yet the mp3 files I transferred over
were not able to be set as a ringtone. Really odd. I suspect it has to do with the bit rate of the music file, but the downloaded program Sony recommended was not recognizing my device as being plugged in. Perhaps it will work with a memory stick in the expansion port. One more grip is that none of these programs were packaged with the phone, even though at the bottom of the box there are pictures that show a disc, and a booklet. I have the booklet, but where is the disk? Was there a packaging error, or was it not even supposed to be there? Anyways, its a new phone, so I will be fiddling with it for the next few weeks. Expect to see a long term review. This is not something I would be blogging about... but a new phone in 4 years is something to talk about! :)

1 comment:

jaq.e said...

Cool phone... I just got mines and I feel like I already need an upgrade!